And then there were 2

After the weekends action we now know the lineup for September 9th as Aughavas meet Drumreilly in the Intermediate County Final and Kiltubrid play St. Marys in the main event the Senior Championship. All four teams will relish the chance to be the first to lift their respective Championship Cups in the new stand.

The opening game on Saturday evening between Aughnasheelin and Aughavas was an entertaining event even though Aughavas controlled most of the game. Both teams started off well but Aughavas showed some of their class as they eventually put daylight between the sides with some lovely open football while making full use of the width of the field. With a good lead to their credit they made error of relaxing and allowed Aughnasheelin back into the game in the second half. The last quarter in particular was fast flowing as Aughnasheelin tried very hard but couldnt reel in the scores and with a penalty chance that went wide they finished 4 behind winners Aughavas.  Final score: Aughnasheelin 0-09  Aughavas 1-10

Saturday evenings senior fare was a typical county semi final as St Marys locked horns with Carrigallen in a game the started off brightly but as it progressed Carrigallen were passed out by a dogged St. Marys team who were very determined to make it to the final.  In a low Scóring first half St. Marys neutralised the potential of the Carrigallen forwards with good performances by James Glancy, Dermot Reynolds and Cassidy  the half time score was 0-4 to 0-2 in favour of St. Marys.  In the second half St. Marys were in control and with Carrigallen reduced to 14 men they didn t mount a sufficient attack.  Final score Carrigallen 0-04 St. Marys 0-09

Yesterdays St. Marys – Drumreilly Intermediate semifinal  ended in  a Drumreilly win but they had their moments int he first half when St. Marys asked some serious questions of them.  Drumreilly pulled away in the second half and it finished Drumreilly 1-14  St. Marys 0-11.

The last game in Pairc Sean for the weekend was the Senior clash between Bornacoola and Kiltubrid.  This game brought back many memories of the 05 final and while the winners remained the same the score line was not near as dramatic.  This was a very entertaining game for all spectators as the crowd got behind both teams and roar from the new stand was in line with the pace of the game.  Kiltubrid opened the Scóring with a point on the 4th minute and that was it for 15 minutes as Bornacoola registered 4 unanswered points.  Kiltubrid weatherd the Bornacoola period and hit a purple patch of their own as they registered 5 points without reply.  Into injury time and Bornacoola leveled the scores with 2 points leaving all square at  6 points a piece for the interval.

The second half was end to end stuff without a score for 10 minutes when finally Kiltubrid registered a point, the first score of this half.   Bornacoola drew level on the 14th minute and 6 minutes later Kiltubrid scored another point from play. Bornacoola answered again in the 22nd minute to bring it level for the last time.  Kiltubrid held their nerve and on the 27th minute pulled 1 point in front.  This was followed quickly by a point 1 minute later.  Bornacoola tried hard but couldn t rein in Kiltubrid and with 3 minutes of injury time played the final score, a point, went to Kiltubrid.  Final score Kiltubrid 0-11 Bornacoola 0-08.



27-Aug-07 by Brendan Doyle – PRO