FBD- Leitrim v GMIT

Connacht FBD League
Leitrim 2-07 GMIT 0-08


Leitrim Senior football team opened the 2008 season with a deserved victory over GMIT in the first of three FBD League games in Páirc Seán today. While it was cold for the spectators on this overcast day the conditions were favourable for football for the time of year despite recent weather.

A minutes silence was observed in recognition of recent berevements of members of the Leitrim GAA community.

Leitrim were first on the scoreboard with a long range point from Shane Foley and this was followed by a point from Michael Foley. GMITs corner forward Michael Martin brought his shooting boots with him as he slotted over 2 left footed frees on the 6th and 8th minute. He followed this with another point from play in the 10th minute and Leitrims defence were under pressure as the GMIT squad hit a purple patch. This was short lived however as Emly Mulligan shone in the centre half forward area and he scored 2 points from frees. Some 2 minutes later in the 17th minute a fast moving attack saw the GMIT keeper make a feet first challenge on a loose ball which resulted in a penalty. Emlyn Mulligan slotted the ball low and hard to the left hand side of the net. It was some 5 minutes later before GMIT got a fisted point from number 7 Tom Cuniffe. Emlyn Mulligan finished off the half with another point from play to bring the half time scoreline to Leitrim 1-05 GMIT 0-04

The second half with Leitrim playing into the scoreboard end got off to the perfect start from the throw-in with a Michael Duignan long range ball into James Glancy (Glencar/Manor) who in turn shook the back of the GMIT net. This left Leitrim with 7 point advantage and they looked very much in control. GMIT didnt lie down as their forwards worked hard to reduce the deficit. Number 11 Aidan Campbell and 15 StephenÓgriffin scored 2 points between them while number 13 Michael Martin registered another point. Shortly after GMITs substitute Stephen KavanÓgh who walked onto the field and proceeded to score a point from a 45. Wides were traded throughout the half as Leitrims tally reached 5 while GMIT were only marginally better with 4 wides. Leitrim relied on Mulligan to add another point and this was followed by the final score which came off the boot of Declan Maxwell who scored a point for Leitrim in the 29th minute.

Final score: Leitrim 2-07 GMIT 0-08

While neither team will feel that they are ready to set the world alight Leitrim at least can be happy with their strong defence and good spread of the ball through the forward area.



nÓgill, D Reynolds, J McKeon, J Glancy (St. M), P Gilmartin, B McWeeney, S Foley (0-1), G McCloskey (Capt.), M Duignan, M Foley (0-1), E Mulligan (1-4), B Prior, D OConnor, J Glancy (1-0), D Maxwell(0-1).

Subs used:
Subs: C Kennedy for J Glancy, C Regan for B Prior, P McGuinness for D OConnor, A OFlynn for P Gilmartin and S Feeney for J Glancy.



D Dowd, R McTiernan, S Walsh, N Darby, D Vaughan, J Hayes, T Cuniffe (0-1), C Glynn, K Conroy, S Ryder, A Campbell (0-1), P McGinley (0-1), M Martin (0-3), E Concannon, S Griffin (0-1).

Subs: T Hughes for J Hayes, M Conroly for E Concannon, B Lee for P McGinlay, S KavanÓgh (0-1) for S Griffin.

Ref: M Duffy (Sligo).




06-Jan-08 by Brendan Doyle – PRO