St Osnats into another Final after tight battle

After a tight battle, north Leitrim side, St. Osnats claimed a place in the GWP Junior C championship final for a fourth successive year when they defeated an experienced Sean OHeslins outfit in Sundays semi-final in Cloone.


In a closely contested encounter, a 37th minute goal by sub David Clancy gave St. Osnats a crucial grip in the proceedings after Sean OHeslins had taken the lead for the first time in the game

While the Ballinamore side tried hard to wrestle the initiative back from the Glencar men after the goal, the north Leitrim men, managed by former Leitrim and AughnasheelinÓgoalkeeper Martin McHugh, responded by upping their performance a few notches, which allowed them to hold out for victory.

It was very muck nip and tuck in the opening exchanges over the first 11 minutes, as both sides traded points at opposite ends. Liam Burke junior edged St. Osnats ahead with a 6th minute point but Peter Reynolds levelled matters two minutes later from a free.

Over the next three minutes, St. Osnats AlanÓgilligan swapped a point with Sean OHeslins Sean McCartin, from a free. After that St. Osnats grabbed a three point lead by the end of the first quarter when Finbar Twomey shot a point from play and put over a 45, as well as a free for the Glencar men.

Sean OHeslins AdrianÓgallogly replied from play with an 18th minute point but AlanÓgilligan kept St. Osnats in the driving seat with a point a minute later.

However, Sean OHeslins put in a storming finish to the half, to get on level terms. McCartin tapped over two frees while Adrian Murphy whipped over a point from play, which sent both teams in on a 0-6 all score line at half time.

Sean OHeslins keeper Cormac ÓSuilleabháin denied St. Osnats a goal in the 35th minute when he stopped a point blank Stephen Kerrigan shot with his shins. OHeslins then took the lead for the only time in the game in the next minute when Sean McCartin put over a free.

But St. Osnats quickly got back in control in the 37th minute when David Clancy flicked home the games only goal. The score came after Finbar Twomey a free from 45 metres was sent into the OHeslins goalmouth.

The ball was deflected across the goals by Eugene McSharry for the in rushing Clancy to put the ball wide of a stranded ÓSuilleabháin.

However, a 47th minute free from McCartin reduced St. Osnats lead to the minimum but a Twomey point in the following minute put some more daylight between the sides.

McCartin again reduced the lead to a single point when he fired over from play in the 54th minute with what was a spectacular score for the Ballinamore men.

However, Eugene McSharry ensured St. Osnats place in the final against Drumreilly when his 60th minute soccer style shot from five yards screamed over the Sean OHeslins crossbar, as it appeared that McSharry had a goal on his mind when he pulled the trigger.




This full report is available thanks to the Leitrim Observer
– its available in this weeks edition of the Observer and online here






31-Oct-08 by