Leitrim JFC Final – Report

Kiltubrid 2 – 9

Glencar/Manor 1 – 11

Kiltubrid claimed Leitrims last adult championship title of the year on Sunday in Carrick-on-Shannon when holding off a late Glencar/Manor rally, to win the County Junior ‘B crown by a single point after a thrilling contest.

However Glencar/Manor started brightly when Niall Hickey put over a 3rd minute free.

Meanwhile Kiltubrid responded decisively five minutes later when Paul McGirl finished to the net after he took full advantage of an error by Glencar/Manor fullback, Kenneth McMorrow.

Keelan McKeon increased Kiltubrids lead when he fisted over in the 10th minute.

Glencar/Manor managed to cut Kiltubrids advantage back to the minimum by the 14th minute after Niall Hickey put over his second free and Pat Gilmartin shot a point.

But Kiltubrid took a decisive grip on the proceedings over the next twelve minutes when they hit 1 – 5 without reply.

In this period Gavin Kelly shot Kiltubrids second goal while Conor Doherty popped over three points from play with Keelan McKeon also converting a free and Aidan McKiernan adding a point from play.

Before the break Glencar/Manor replied with a Declan Ryan point and a Seamus Leddy free conversion, which still left Kiltubrid leading comfortably by 2 – 6 to 0 – 5 at halftime.

But a goal, which Pauric Kerrigan finished to the net within two minutes of the restart, brought Glencar/Manor to within four points of Kiltubrid.

However within the space of another minute Keelan McKeon replied with a Kiltubrid converted free, which kept his side in control.

ThenÓglencar/Manor closed the gap on Kiltubrid to three points by the 37th minute after Seamus Leddy put over a free and James Gilmartin shot a point.

But the north Leitrim side had a let off in the 39th minute when ‘keeper, Sean Boylan had to make a super save from a goal bound Michael McGirl effort.

After that Kiltubrid pulled five points clear of Glencar/Manor over the next eleven minutes when Keelan McKeon converted a free and Michael McGirl fisted a point.

The Kiltubrid men did not score in the remainder of the action, as Glencar/Manor staged a fighting late rally to salvage the game.

Over five minutes of additional time was played in this period and Kiltubrids lead was whittled down to a point.

In the closing exchanges Seamus Leddy converted a Glencar/Manor ‘45 and Niall Hickey slotted over a 13 metre free while sub Patrick McEneaney and Ian Feeney shot points apiece.

At the end Kiltubrid held out for the win but they certainly had a close shave during the Glencar/Manors last ditch assault when the north Leitrims sides full-forward Niall Hickey blazed a 56th minute goal chance narrowly wide from just a few yards out.

Kiltubrid: Adrian Lee, Neil Slevin, Barry MacThiarnain, RonanÓgeoghegan, David McCormack, David McGirl, EamonÓgeoghegan, Richard Mahon, StephenÓguckian, Aidan McKiernan 0 – 1, Conor Doherty 0 – 3, Michael McGirl 0 – 1, Keelan McKeon 0 – 4 (4f.), Paul McGirl 1 – 0, Gavin Kelly 1 – 0.

Subs Patrick Whitlow for Kelly (38 mins.), Anthony Tighe for M. McGirl (51 mins.).

Glencar/Manor: Sean Boylan, Colin Farrell, Kenneth McMorrow, Enda Healy, Ian Feeney 0 – 1, Seamus Leddy 0 – 3(3f.), Dermot McMorrow, Pat Gilmartin 0 – 1, Ronan Haslette, Declan Ryan 0 – 1, James Gilmartin 0 – 1, Sean Watters, Pauric Kerrigan 1 – 0, Niall Hickey 0 – 3(3f.), Damien McDermott.

Subs Colin Ryan for Watters (26 mins.), Patrick McEneaney 0 – 1 for McDermott (38 mins.), Kevin Rogers for D. McMorrow (57 mins.), Thomas Coyle for J. Gilmartin (57 mins.).

Referee: Cyril McKeon (Allen Gaels).




18-Nov-08 by PJ Leddy