Munster 1-13 Connacht 1-10

Brief report from Connacht game last night in Limerick where John McKeon, James Glancy (GM) and Declan Maxwell were Leitrims representation on the panel.

A superbly takenÓgoal by Limericks Pa Ranahan, a minute before half-time, was crucial as Munster beat Connacht in atrocious conditions before an attendance of 350 at the Gaelic Grounds tonight.

Donnacha OConnor had a fine outing for Munster and scored six points – one free and one sideline – as he steered his province to a deserved M Donnelly Interprovincial SFC semi-final win.

Munster made a bright start and had three points from Paddy Kelly, OConnor and Colm ONeill inside the opening five minutes and Paul Kerrigan was inches wide with a goal attempt.

Mark Breheny notched Connachts opening point and after six minutes, and just moments later Paul Conroy struck a powerful shot which beat goalkeeper Paul Fitzgerald but came back off the butt of the post.

Then Joe Bergin was fouled as he bore down onÓgoal and referee Cormac Reilly awarded a penalty from which David Kelly scored – the Sligo attacker followed up after Fitzgerald had saved his initial effort.

Kelly tagged on a point and OConnor had two more Munster points followed by another brace from Waterford dual player Gary Hurney.

David Kelly pulled a point back for Connacht but two more by OConnor had Munster three in front.

Just on half-time, a splendid Munster move involving four players ended with Ranahan blasting past David Clarke to leave it 1-9 to 1-3 in favour of Munster at the interval.

Peadar Gardiner had the first point for Connacht on the resumption but a pointed free from ONeill and a Liam OLionnain effort from had Munster seven points clear and they had a relatively untroubled path through to the final.

scorers – Munster: D OConnor 0-6 (0-1f, 0-1sl), C ONeill 0-3 (0-1f), P Ranahan 1-0, G Hurney 0-2, L OLionnain, P Kelly 0-1 each
Connacht: D Kelly 1-4 (0-3f), M Clancy 0-3, M Breheny, J Glancy, D Meehan 0-1 each

MUNSTER: P Fitzgerald (Tipperary); T OGorman (Waterford), J McCarthy (Limerick), P Reidy (Kerry); M OGorman (Waterford), M Shields (Cork), P Ranahan (Limerick); A OConnor (Cork), R Costigan (Tipperary); P Kelly (Cork), D OConnor (Cork), P Kerrigan (Cork); G Hurney (Waterford), C ONeill (Cork), L OLionnain (Waterford).

Subs used: A Walsh (Cork) for Kerrigan (52 mins).

CONNACHT: D Clarke (Mayo); C Harrison (Sligo), N McGuire (Sligo), J McKeon (Leitrim); P Gardiner (Mayo), D Blake (Galway), G Bradshaw (Galway); J Bergin (Galway), N Coleman (Galway); M Breheny (Sligo), B Moran (Mayo), P Conroy (Galway); S Kilbride (Roscommon), A OShea (Mayo), D Kelly (Sligo).

Subs used: J Glancy (Leitrim) for Kilbride (35 mins), M Clancy (Galway) for Breheny (40), D Meehan (Galway) for Bradshaw (47), S Davey (Sligo) for Conroy (57).

Referee, C Reilly (Meath)



25-Oct-09 by