Minor Championship 15-A-Side Final

Congratulations to the St Manchan’s team and Management who last Sunday won the Minor Championship 15-A-Side Final.

The game against Ballinamore Sean O’Heslins proved to be a very exciting game with both sides giving their all in the game. Ballinamore got off to a good start and were quicker to settle with Ballinamores Peter Reynolds registering the game’s opening score with a lovely point.

It got even better for Ballinamore when in the 5th minute Conor MoranÓgot the games opening goal having avoided a challenge from Jason Farry, St Manchans goalkeeper and with two defenders on the goal line.

Things were looking quite difficult for St Manchans when Michael Bohan was taken off with an injury which would have added extra pressure to the team and Ballinamore went on to extend their lead with two excellent points by Kevin Mullen and Peter Reynolds. With great character and determination St Manchans began to turn things around getting them right back into contention with Keith Keegan starting the Scóring with an excellent point but it wasn’t until the final three minutes of the half that St Manchans really began to get into the game with two excellent points by Jamie Stenson and Keith Beirne pointed in quick succession and with a minute of the half remaining Keith Keegan struck for a decisive goal.

St Manchans finished the first half the strongest with an excellent point by Keith Beirne and he then went on to score another point from a free deep into injury time ending the half St Manchans 1-06 Ballinamore 1-03.

Ballinamore came out fighting in the second half and started the Scóring within 5 minutes with points from Kevin Mullen, Luke Murphy and Peter Reynolds which put the teams level.

RonanÓgordon scored for St Manchans from a very tight angle to regain the lead and then St Manchans went for their second goal with a score from Fiachra McGuinness giving them a four point lead. Within minute St Manchans scored their third goal when Oisin Madded who got man of the match sidestepped a defender Scóring a great goal.

Ballinamore refused to give up and with 18 minutes remaining Oisin McCaffrey goaled from a close range after hard work from Peter Reynolds and Niall McGovern putting them back into contention but St Manchans pulled away with four unanswered points and in injury time Keith Beirne got the teams fourth goal with final score St Manchans 4-12 Ballinamore Sean O’Heslin 2-07.

St Manchan’s:

Jason Farry, James Mitchell (0-1), Paul Foy, Jack McGarry, Darren Keegan, Oisin Madden (1-0), Michael Bohan, Keith Keegan (1-1), Daragh Gordon, Alan Tuthill, Jamie Stenson (0-2), Shane McGowan (0-1), Keith Beirne (1-3), Fiachra McGuinness (1-1), RonanÓgordan (0-2)

Subs:  Kevin Flynn for Bohan (3 mins), Jamie Cosgrove for Tuthill (50 mins),  Darragh Higgins for McGuinness (60mins), Sean McGuinness for McGowan (60 mins).


Ballinamore Sean O’Heslins:

Cian McCaffrey, James Hamill, Donal Feely, Anthony Magurie, Paddy Connaughton, Keelan McHugh, Brian Leyden, Dean McGovern, Peter Reynolds, (0-3), Conor Moran (1-0), Luke Murphy (0-1), Oisin McCaffrey (1-1), Adam Goldrick , Niall McGovern, Kevin Mullen (0-2),

Subs:  Damien Craven for Hamill (20 mins), Daire Murphy for Craven (42 mins) Mark O’Reilly for Keelan McHugh (58 mins)

Referee:  Gareth Foley



07-Oct-13 by Gerri Mulhern – PRO – Coiste na nÓg