Aughawillan second half comeback denies Sean OHeslins double bid

Ladies Division 3 League Final:

Aughawillan 2 – 10

Sean O Heslins 2 – 07

Leading by six points to three at the break, O Heslins looked to be on their way to victory despite missing a number of chances to have put the game beyond doubt. However, led by the impressive Niamh Flanagan at midfield, Aughawilan punished a wasteful O Heslins and finished the strongest to take the title.


Nora McGovern hit two wides before firing opening the opening point for Aughawillan after three minutes of play. A Deborah Gilheaney free levelled matters almost immediately. O Heslins dominated the next ten minutes an missed a number of chances before a Gilheaney free put them in front. Midway through the half LeighannÓgallagher extended the O Heslins lead and had a goal chance almost immediately but was fouled with Gilheaney adding another free. Aoife Fox missed a good Aughawillan chance while at the other end a Carmel MCCartin effort onÓgoal went narrowly wide. Gallagher added a fine point as O Heslins continued to dominate the half. With five minutes remaining Aoife Fox pointed a free to cut the gap but McCartin replied with a point from play. The final action of the half resulted in a 10 minute sin bin for McCartin for a foul and Fox pointed the free to leave Aughawillan six points to three in arrears at the break.


Niamh Smith was called on to make a fine save from Nora McGovern shortly after the restart. O Heslins had the ball in the Aughawillan net two minutes later but it was disallowed as a free had been called earlier. Smith had to make a second save to keep her goal intact as Aughawillan sought to take advantage of the extra player. However it was O Heslins that scored in thes period with a point from Caroline McGrory as McCartin returned. Kirby Gilgunn was unlucky to see a fine effort fall just short following a fine run before a half blocked McCartin effort bounced around in the goal area and was finally touched to the net by Ciara O Dowd as O Heslins extended their lead to seven points. Their joy was short lived as Aughawillan responded in typical fashion with a long range effort from Josephine Maguire that was too high to handle for Smith in the goals and the lead was cut to four. Two Aughawillan wides were followed by a McGovern point to narrow the gap to three. It was back to six two minutes later as somehow McCartin found a gap with a low shot for her teams second goal. With ten minutes remaining the Aughawillan fightback gathered momentyum, points from Maguire, a great effort from McGovern and a third from Yvonne Williams cut the gap again. O Heslins were unlucky to see an effort hit the post and cleared to safety as again Aughawillan pushed forward. A point from Niamh Flanagan was immediately followed by a second goal as Williams effort went into the top corner an suddenly Aughawillan were a point in front with two minutes remaining. They closed the game with two points from Maguire and an Aoife Fox free to register a three point win.

Sean O Heslins: Niamh Smith, Claire Fanning, Lauren McGrory, Katie Duignan,Kirby Gilgunn, Gillian Layden, Michelle Fanning, Carmel McCartin, Orla McWeeney , Deborah Gilheaney , Ciara O Dowd, Caroline McGrory, LeighannÓgallagher.

Aughawillan: Laura Creamer, Yvonne Williams, Aisling Prior, Ciara Flanagan, Aoife Fox, Katie Prior, Niamh Flanagan, Mary Fee, Caoimhe Quinn, Nora McGovern, Sinead Maxwell, Catriona Quinn, Joesphine Maguire

Referee: Mary Shanley



01-Oct-07 by Patricia Bohan – Ladies PRO