Rededication of Philly McGuinnes Memorial Park
Today, January 11, 2015 was a red letter day for the Mohill GAA Club as the club rededicated what was formerly St Manachans Park in honour of the late Philly McGuinness. The official reopening was performed by Uachtaran Tofa CLCG Aogan O Fearghail, in the presence of members of the extended McGuinness family including the late Philly’s mother Phil and his brothers John and Michael. Mohill club chairman Padraig McLoughlin welcomed all to the reopening and the speakers included Connacht Council secretary John Prenty, Aogan O Fearghail and John McGuinness on behalf of the family. Also in attendance were Leitrim captain for the day Danny Beck, President of the Ladies Gaelic Football Association Pat Quill, Chairman of Leitrim County Council Paddy O Rourke and members of Leitrim and Galway County Boards. A large crowd comprised of Mohill GAA members and Leitrim Supporters witnessed the unveiling. The club produced an excellent match day memorial programme which will be a collector’s item in years to come. The official blessing was performed by Fr Pat Murphy.
Following the official ceremony all patrons present took up their positions to enjoy the exciting Connacht FBD League encounter Leitrim v Galway which was played out in front of an attendance estimated to be in excess of 1500.
11-Jan-15 by Declan Bohan – PRO